Southern Man

Monday, May 07, 2012

Extreme Geocaching

A trio of caches has been on Southern Man's list for some time but were not suitable for his usual between-jobs jacket-and-tie attire but today he went to work in boots and jeans with a mind to tackling those on the way to an evening exam.

The first was straightforward but well protected.

Mother Goose guards a nest of eggs near the cache tree.

The second cache site was equally picturesque...


That cottonwood tree is a good fifty feet tall...

And there's the cache container, about thirty feet up.

Most of the large branches had been recently trimmed right to the trunk, making it a very tough climb. This was, hands down, the most difficult cache Southern Man has ever attempted. Truth is, he's kind of lucky to be in one piece.

Yes, even more challenging than his very first geocache - at the bottom of The Well Of Madness!

And number three required a pipewalk...

And there's a perfectly good bridge right there, too...

To the middle of the river!

Southern Man stares into the abyss.

And that is what geocaching is all about.

4 Comments:

At Monday, May 07, 2012, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And why do you do this? Does not look fun to me.

 
At Tuesday, May 08, 2012, Blogger Southern Man said...

I'm reserved and introverted and would hide away by myself at home all the time if left to my own devices, so I made a promise to myself that given the choice between staying in and going out, I would go out. Geocaching gets me outside and takes me to places I would never have visited to do things I would never have considered. Like climbing that damn tree, or walking a pipe to the middle of the river. I love it!

 
At Tuesday, May 08, 2012, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So it is not as dangerous as it looks?

 
At Tuesday, May 08, 2012, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you post a video of you caching. That would be most interesting.

Riley-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home