Southern Man

Saturday, September 23, 2006

State Fair

The weekend with Southern Man's seven-year-old daughter picked back up again late afternoon when we headed to the fair. It was a beautiful fall evening and the midway was packed. We grabbed a handful of tickets and she led me through about a dozen rides, only one of which nearly killed me. Roller coasters are bad enough, but the Spinning Teacups of Death just about did me in. But we had a terrific time. She wore out after about three hours and once we settle down back at my place after dinner she only lasted about three minutes into the movie. She's such a sweet girl and I treasure every moment I have with her.

Tomorrow I'm going back to the fair to hear Foghat in concert, who I last saw opening for Boston's first nationwide tour way back in the day. A couple of other forty-to-fifty-somethings from work are also planning to go. The concert is free with fair admission, which doesn't give me a lot of hope, but it will be fun to relive the glory days of our concert-going youth. Let's hope we can raise our lighters to a nice long concert rendition of Slow Ride tomorrow!

4 Comments:

At Sunday, September 24, 2006, Blogger Neighborsman said...

FOGHAT!!!!??? Wow man, that is sweet. I didn't know they were still on the road at all.

 
At Monday, September 25, 2006, Blogger neighborsgrrl said...

lighters...dude...nowadays, at least in nyc with all the bans on smoking, a lot of the cell phones have a lighting flicker option for use at concerts :)

 
At Monday, September 25, 2006, Blogger neighborsgrrl said...

Oh, and southernman -- STAR TREK memorabilia (40 years worth) being displayed in the tunnels below my office building at Rock Center. Christie's is auctioning them, so there's a such a cool pre-selling exhibition! Ok, I know if it were Star Wars, you'd be way more interested, but still! How cool is that?!

 
At Saturday, September 30, 2006, Blogger Southern Man said...

Wow, didn't know you young'uns knew anything at all about old second-rate groups like Foghat. I'll update the actual concert post as soon as my concert-going comrade gets her pics developed and to me.

And there was plenty of smoking. It weren't tobacco, either. All those scary old biker dudes and chicks had the doobies going up and down the aisles just like in the seventies. Groovy, man.

And Trek memorabilia - whoo hoo, I love all things Trek. Buy me something for Christmas, grrl!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home