Southern Man

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Be Thou My Vision

No day of rest this Sunday; Southern Man had to head in to work at the crack of dawn for the university matriculation convocation, a working lunch with the other two members of the secret cabal that actually runs the department, and a mountain of paperwork that absolutely must be done before classes begin tomorrow.

The matriculation convocation is always a pleasant experience (other than the fact that we stand outside in the 95-degree morning heat wearing twenty pounds of black academic regalia for a half-hour before the service begins). All of the incoming voice students are tapped for the convocation choir, the university organist and brass ensemble are pleasures to hear, and they always have one of my favorite hymns on the program (and even provide a photocopy out of the hymnal so we all have our respective voice parts). It's not one that the Nazarenes sing very often:
Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best thought, by day or by night;
waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.
With all that's going on in my life and with such a busy, busy time at work, it's good to be reminded of what's really important. Sundays really are getting better and better. Lord, I pray that You and You alone would remain my vision and that You would continue to light my path with Your presence. Amen.

1 Comments:

At Sunday, August 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Glad to know your Sundays are getting better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home