Southern Man

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Geocaching on Black Friday

Some folks shop on the day after Thanksgiving, but Southern Man stays as far from the stores as he can on Black Friday. He grabbed his son, his brother, and a nephew and went geocaching instead.

We had a pretty good time. It was only the second time out for me, and the first for everyone else. I came prepared with printouts and Google Earth photos of all of the sites. The batteries on Southern Man's little borrowed GPS died early in the game but his brother had his aviation-grade Garmin GPSMAP 295 from his flying days and that was just great. We found five caches before we had to give up due to the park police giving us strange looks as we searched for the last one. Then we had a bit of car trouble and called it a day.

These last two days of Thanksgiving have been a lot of fun. I've been able to spend a lot of time with my son, which has been marvelous. The girls have also had a good time; they spent the night at my folks and went to movies with my sister while the boys and I were out and about. I still have them tomorrow, which will be a pretty unstructured day. Hopefully we'll put up my new Christmas tree and decorate it. But I'm looking forward to just having my kids around for another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home