Southern Man

Monday, July 17, 2006

A Night at the Restaurant

Sundays are both the best and worst days of the week. It's a chance to chat with friends and socialize a bit and see the kids for at least a moment or two, but it's also a bit stressful to be in the same Sunday-School class with my not-yet-ex-wife. I love her very much and my heart still skips a beat whenever I see her, but she doesn't really speak to me unless she must. I have no idea what is running through her head or her heart.

I have one brother and one sister, all living in the same general area. A while back my sister had arranged for the three of us to meet for dinner, and tonight was the night. As best as I can recall, the three of us had never done this before, and it was a bit awkward at times. We stuck to safe topics. Perhaps it was me, but my brother seemed to be a bit tense. He is opening a new computer-repair store just a couple of miles from where I live; hopefully it will be a success. One of my older computers (running Windows 2000) has been infected with a browser hijack (the dreaded CWS) that I haven't been able to remove. Please don't suggest how; I've tried just about everything on the market, including several CWS removers. I may give it to my brother just to see if he can get it cleaned for me. That would be better than trying to find W2K drivers for all of the hardware (like the very finicky dual-monitor video card) and reinstalling Windows. Southern Man is something of a computer geek and installing an OS is normally as much play as work, but his heart just isn't in it right now.

In fact my heart just isn't in anything right now. I couldn't sleep at all last night and finally just gave up and went to work at four in the morning. I have plenty to do (the stupid Sun lab is broken again, for one thing) but am not in much of a mood to do any of it. It's possible that my students won't get their money's worth today.

1 Comments:

At Friday, July 22, 2011, Anonymous Anonymous said...

was the brother close to your soon to be ex? Or has the awkwardness been there since you grew up? I was not close to my siblings much until I reached adulthood. We are the best of friends now. Shake off the funky feelings and get to know him...there is nothing like family, especially in difficult and brutal times. Hope things get much much better for the three of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home